Friday, January 05, 2007

The Atlantis Submarine

Ok, it's the second to last memory of Hawaii today.

We got to go on a submarine that has windows in it so you can see what's out there. When Brent's mom was there, she and I went on one, but Brent had to work. So, this time he said he really wanted to go on it, so we did. I have to say, the first time I was a little disappointed with the ride, but this time was better. We saw a lot more marine life and I knew what to expect.

Here we are getting off the sub, but you get on the same way. You take a boat out a little way into the ocean, then the submarine comes up and you get on. It's a good way to do it. I wondered how they brought the subs up to the dock.

This is what we looked like in the submarine when it was the deepest. I think it was 135 feet, but if I'm wrong, Brent will fix it. I thought this was a cool picture. I didn't even mean to do it, I just forgot to turn the flash back on. Happy accidents.

As I said before, the first time I went on the sub I was a little disappointed. I was expecting to see reefs and fish like that. When in actuality they've sunk boats, planes and "replacement reefs". This is one of the plane's wings and under it is a shark. It's a white tip reef shark. I hate sharks, but it's not too bad to see them when you're in a sub. We saw about 5 sharks. One swam along the other side of the sub for a little bit and another one swam underneath us. This is a spotted eagle ray. It was fun to see this one. It was just swimming along minding it's own business.

And, now the best, a sea turtle. (Hawaiians call them honu) We saw a bunch of turtles. I think it was like 7, but I could be exaggerating a little bit. They are cool to watch swim around.

That's it. It was a fun outing. And, I got pressed pennies!

:)





2 comments:

Jess said...

I would love to go on a submarine ride. That would be cool to see marine life. I hate sharks too, but to see one while in the safety of the sub would be fantastic.

Nice picts!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

So fun! I love reading your Hawaii stories. I'm still working on a post about when we got accosted at the International Market Place. :)