Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hard Work

So, we've been dividing our time between working outside and downstairs this summer. So, two months ago, I put this picture up.

This is the front of our house. I had just planted a bunch of stuff and it was starting to get warm enough for things to grow.

This pictures is from today...

It was raining when I was trying to take this picture, so it's from a weird angle, but look how cool it looks!! I'm so excited about the dahlias that are growing there. I'm hoping our big dahlia garden will work this good next year!

So, what do you see that is different from the two pictures. The plants are a lot bigger. That's for sure. Surprisingly, the lawn looks fairly similar. For those of you who don't live in Washington, lawns don't get watered in the summer. Usually it rains enough to keep the lawns green. But if it doesn't ... yellow lawns. I can't quite let my lawn go completely yellow, but I've only watered it once. This is from the "Plant Lady" as Ryan calls me. Don't mow your lawns too short and water them deeply occasionally, not a little all the time. Anyway, back to the pictures.

Have you noticed it?? The flag is missing. Huh. Funny story! So, last week, Brent and I were leaving and Brent says, "Did you bring the flag in?" I looked over and sure enough, the flag was gone. Then I remembered something that happened earlier in the day. There was this teenager riding his skateboard down the street. (I hate that anyway - we live on a hill - how is he suppose to stop?) He stops in front of our house on the street and is sitting on his skateboard. I thought he was resting in the shade or something because it was a warm day. I went into another room. Just after that I heard a weird noise, but when I looked, I didn't notice anything. Until the flag was gone! Yep, that's right...I'm pretty sure that kid took our flag! Isn't that horrible??

Next time we have a flag, we're going to have to use a screw to keep it in there. I can't wait for school to be back in. :)

Here's a pretty picture of the dahlia that is blooming. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Seriously why would someone steal a flag?? That totally sucks! Kids these days :)

I love the picture of your yard. It is gorgeous! The Dahlia's are beautiful. I can't even imagine how that would be to not have to ever water and still have everything green and lush. Crazy!

I can't wait to see pictures of the inside work too.

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Your yard is looking so good. Can't wait to see it in person!! The Dalia's are beautiful! Darn kids anyway...our mailbox was knocked down AGAIN - and then the night before last, the doorbell rang and Dad went to get it and it was Jardine's 4 year old grandson with a bag of Dad's golfballs in his hands and he asked Dad if he could take them. Of course Dad told him "no" to which he replied, oh, I've already taken the loose ones in the back!!! Needless to say, we are buying a lock for the gate in the back :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!! It looks awesome!. I'm super impressed. :)

Anonymous said...

Your flowers look awesome! You definately have the touch. I didn't plant any flowers this year...how sad is that? Just got busy doing other things. I had dahlias a few year ago and loved them...they are probably one of my most favorite outside flower.
I can't believe a kid stole your flag...what a putz!
When do you leave on your vacation?

Anonymous said...

The flag was the first thing that I noticed in those pictures... kind of crazy! Great flowers.