Monday, February 02, 2009

An Exciting Sunday

I had a really great day yesterday at church. I now have 3 callings - primary teacher (Valiant 9 boys), co-ward bulletin editor (with Brent), and now YW camp director. Wowie! I'm excited to serve and see where these callings take me.
Then, I got my Young Women's Medallion.

A few years ago, they changed the Young Women Personal Progress books. Then they encouraged the leaders to get their medallions as well. I didn't do it then, but I did do it now. It's a lot of work, but it is so worth it. You learn so much about yourself and about the Lord. It's an inspired program! I know that now.

It's kind of a funny story. The bishop invited me up and told everyone how I had earned my YW Medallion. He handed me the certificate, then he opened the pretty purple box to show everyone the medallion and....

the box was empty. It kind of threw the bishop off and made me start to giggle. Quite funny.

I did get the real thing later though. It's kind of pretty...


Not a great picture, but you get the idea. It is really nice.

Now here is the weird part. Exactly 17 years ago today, I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. So, it's kind of like I got my medallion when I was suppose to get it.

In the last conference, Sis. Allred spoke about when she joined the church when she was young. She said that her baptism day was the day that her "life changed forever, and the gospel of Jesus Christ became the compelling force in my life." That quote has really stuck with me. I don't think that the day I was baptized was the day that the gospel became the "compelling force in my life," but it really is now. It is who I am and what I know is true with all my heart. I am working towards the goal of being like my Savior. I'm not always good at it, but I'm working towards it. And I am so happy that I did joint the church all those years ago. And I am so glad that it is now the "compelling force in my life." It makes me happy, what more can I want?

9 comments:

Tina said...

I was crackin' up! He's so cute.
(I'm allowed to say that.)

Congratulations, Ashley! You're awesome!

Angel said...

Wow -- congrats! That is quite an accomplishment. How funny that the Bishop had an empty box to give you. I bet that he will be more paranoid from now on and that he will check the box each time.

Wear it with pride.

Jenny Moore said...

Ashley that is an awesome post!
Congrats on earning your medallion...that is quite an accomplishment...you go girl!
So is Brent still the exec sec? So he got another calling too?
When is camp?
I just better call and chat with you...too many questions!!

Courtney said...

Can I say that I'm proud of you? Well, I am! Good job Ash!

Anonymous said...

Tina, are you hitting on the bishop?

Congratulations! What a cool anniversary. And a beautiful necklace. I couldn't really tell if it has changed since I got mine. It looks slightly different. I'd like to see it.

Thanks for lending us your husband tonight. You should have come over in your pj's. :)

Katie & Jared said...

Congratulations Ashley!!! I was almost done with everything when they started the new personal progress program. I was able to use some of my old things but it was like starting over. I was very proud of myself for finishing and I'm proud of you for doing it now. I know the all work you must have put into it. Way to go!!!
LOVE YA

Jess said...

What an awesome day to remember! I love that you earned your medallion. I just started working on the new program too. We'll see how long it takes me. You will be FABULOUS as the camp leader. That is the perfect calling for you.

I am so glad that you joined the Church. You are so amazing and such a good example to everyone.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Ash, Congratulations to you. Boy, you have a few callings! The Camp Director is going to be a lot of work, but I know you are up to the challenge - just as you were to get your medallion. I know how long and hard you worked to get it. I am proud of you for doing it. I am also proud that you embrace the gospel and live such a good life. I give thanks for you everyday.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ashley! You are my inspiration! So, since I don't have a calling right now, will one of your three count for me? Good luck with everything, you are fabulous!