Saturday, September 26, 2009

Not a Fan of the Dead Things

Let me just first say that I have a problem with stuffed animals. I'm not talking, "Oh look, a cute stuffed horse." I'm talking, "Oh look, it used to BE a horse and is now stuffed." Get my drift? It has always been so with me and probably isn't changing soon.

So, when the first place we went to in the Nation Museum of Natural History was the Hall of Mammals...



(I couldn't even make myself take a good picture of the place.) I didn't know how good the day was going to go.

Not only was it full of "dead things," but it was REALLY loud! But, once we got into the ocean section, the rest of the day went quite well.

And, here is the Museum of Natural History:




There was a little girl looking at this python skeleton and she said, "Look, it's a slinky!" Too funny.






This is the hope diamond...42 karats!

Dinosaur skeletons always make me think of my Uncle Joe. He works like a crazy person all winter so he can take most of the summer off to dig dinos. He even found a pterodactyl that no one had ever seen. It's named after him. Cool huh?

I think when we redo our kitchen, we should get this kind of granite countertops...it couldn't be that expensive!

I don't know if you can see on this picture, but there is a big fish skeleton with a smaller fish skeleton in it's tummy. At least it died full.






I have to say, this is my favorite museum so far.

6 comments:

Angel said...

42 carats? How many inches across was it?

Courtney said...

Very cool. Chloe would be in heaven.

Mom said...

I am sure you abosolutely LOVED the dead things!!! I know how you are. I am sure that was a quick walk through the museum with eyes adverted!! Looks like there were some great displays...can I have the diamond for Christmas! Glad Brent found his Easter Island Man again (at least that is what it looks like...you still need one for your yard!)

Jen said...

I want the diamond!!
The last picture of Brent reminds me of the movie Night at the Museum..."Hey, Dumb Dumb...give me some gum, gum"!! Not that Brent is a dumb dumb!!! :)

Looks awesome!

steve said...

There is a definite likeness in the last picture though. I’m glad you documented it.

Julie said...

Great pictures Ashley! Looks like I need to go back to DC... I didn't get to go to the fun museums!