Wednesday, October 28, 2009

DC Wrap-Up - Almost Done!

I know that it's been FOREVER since we got home, but this is kind of my journal, so I'm going to finish up the DC posts. I only have two more days of pictures, I promise!

Our last Smithsonian Museum was the Museum of American History. I was really excited for this museum since I knew that the First Lady's dresses, the real Star Spangled Banner that was flying when Key wrote that song, and the ruby slippers were there. Unfortunately, they are remodeling it, so that was about all that was there, but it was still fun!


You know anything Disney related, I'll love!


Brent was so excited about this lunch box that he actually posed for the picture without complaining. He says it's just like the one he had when he was little.


This is Laura Bush's ball gown. It took me a little while to figure out why I liked it so much...then I realized that it was completely modest! Not to mention red and sparkly! I wore a red dress on our first date. And if we had a song, which we don't because Brent thinks they're dumb, it would be "Lady in Red."


This is the actual costume from Return of the Jedi. Here's a funny story that doesn't relate at all to anything. The other day, Court and the boys were here. Aaron is just starting to really talk. He picked up a C3PO pez dispenser and said, "R2D2." Close enough! Too cute!


This poster cracks me up! That's not what I look like when I'm canning!


President Carter's wife's gown. (I should really be better at history.)


I just saw Julie and Julia in Boise so this meant a little more to me.



Mary Todd Lincoln sure had a tiny waist!


This is the hat that Lincoln was wearing the night he was shot.


These are Apollo Anton Ohno's skates that he won the gold medal in Salt Lake with. We're going to the Vancouver Games and tried to get tickets to speed skating, but they were very hard to get. Only hockey and curling for us. It will still be fun!


This may not be cool for most people, but it was kind of cool for us. This is a display about the Manhattan Project, which is where scientists developed the atomic bomb. And Brent's grandpa worked on it. Kind of interesting to see history that you've heard the stories from the actual people who were there.


I've never really liked the Wizard of Oz, but Wicked is awesome! It said that the original shoes were gray, but since it was in color, they wanted a color that would go well with the yellow brick road.


Here's President Taft's wife's gown.


Martha Washington's gown. Amazing that they've kept it so long!

You couldn't take pictures of the "Star Spangled Banner" Flag, but just imagine a really big, really old and tattered flag. Don't get me wrong, it was really cool to see, but ... it was really big and really old.

Since the museum is remodeling, not all of the areas were open, so we got done earlier than we were planning. We decided that since it was the last full day we had in DC that we would walk down the National Mall again. Got a good picture of the Washington Monument...



It was a good day.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love all your pictures and fun stories from your trip. Thanks for sharing!

Brent really does look so happy about that lunch box- what a goof!