Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Budding Meteorologist

There are a few jobs that I just think are silly. One of them has to be tv meteorologists. What other job can you have when you can be wrong AT LEAST 50% of the time and still have a job. Maybe engineering, but... just kidding guys.

My other least favorite job is statistician. I took statistics in college and I hated it. I'm the type of person that likes a concrete answer. 1+1=2, always, no other question. But in statistics 1+1 might equal 2, but it could also equal 1 or 3. I know, I don't get it either.

Anyway, I digress.

My family is VERY into the weather. That's always a question I get whenever I talk to my mom or grandma on the phone. "So, what's the weather like up there?" There aren't a lot of choices around here... "Well, it's raining." OR "Well, it's a nice day today." (Both those answers could come on the same day.)

So, last year for Christmas, my parents got us a thermometer so we could more accurately report the weather to them. I really do LOVE this thermometer. It's always nice to know how cold it is when I go on my walk (below freezing, I do the Wii Active. I'm prone to slipping on ice. Have I ever told you the story of falling on the quad at USU while reading a newspaper? That's basically the story and I was MORTIFIED.)

Then, a friend of ours bought a rain gauge and that got us thinking. "Hey, wouldn't it be nice to know how much it rains on our little part of the world?" The gardener in me thought this was a great idea because then I could know if I needed to water or not. (A lawn needs about 1" of water a week to remain green. Since the goal here seems to be to keep it a yellow/green, I'm a little less than stringent on this.) So, we trekked all over trying to find a cool rain gauge (electronic, not those silly plastic ones that I already have and that broke last year in the HUGE snow). We finally found one and brought it home. Then, sadly it didn't rain that day, but it has since then. Sunday it rained .74 inches. Then yesterday it rained 2.76 inches. Wowie! I'm so excited about this.

But, the sad part is, now our thermometer is not working. I'm waiting for it to stop raining so I can go out and take the batteries out of the sensor to see if I can get it working again. (That's my "fix" for everything...turn it off and turn it back on. Or threaten to throw it out the window which gets Brent to fix it extra fast. I have quite the temper for electronic gagets!)

So, I've decided to track how much it rains on us this winter. This will be a little difficult while we are in Utah for Christmas, but I'll figure out something. If you would like to watch the running total of rainfall on our deck, just check the side bar. I'll update it daily-ish.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Fun idea!

If only there was a way to capture and measure the amount of sunshine we are getting. I suppose a good gauge would be how many check marks are NOT on my list each day. I don't get much done on sunny days...too busy basking. :) But rainy days=clean house so I guess I have to take the good with the bad.

Anyway, fun idea! :D

Mom said...

Boy...you get a LOT of rain up there. Must be the reason it is so green (most of the time!!) Sorry your little weather guy is not working. Let me know if he stays broken!! Have fun in the rain!

John and Laura said...

i love to tease john when he goes online to "check the weather". because the meteorologists are only right half of time, so just look outside to see the weather!

And i agree, watching the rainfall amounts has been pretty interesting! As in ... it's still raining?!

Angel said...

What a fun experiment! Megan is obsessed with the weather lately -- I am sure that she will love to see your results. :)

Jenny Moore said...

Dad would be so impressed Ashley!!
I'm sure we could find you his old barometer!!!
Maybe I should track our rain fall here but I'm too busy building our ark!!!

Julie said...

That is quite fun Ashley! Glad I got to see you fun toy in person. It was great hanging with you this past weekend. Thanks for making it a very Happy Thanksgiving!