Friday, July 29, 2011

A Lost Art?

The other night I was helping out at Young Women's and they were making secret sister gifts. (Don't know what secret sister gifts are - well, you are assigned another camper to give stuff to. This stuff can either be funny, practical, or - sadly what I normally get - junk. I don't have a good attitude about secret sister stuff. But this year I got a blow up flamingo for my secret sister. Why? Because it made me laugh. Anyway, back to the story.)

One of the gifts they were making was flavored water. Well, actually, a bottle of water with a stir-in thing attached to it with curly ribbon. You know, curly ribbon. The ribbon you curl using scissors.Yeah, I got that blank stare from the girls and a couple of the leaders too. I mean, seriously, you don't know how to curl ribbon?

So, I thought I would teach them this apparently lost art. I showed them how. And they tried and cut the ribbon. So I showed them how again and they tried and it didn't work. So I showed them how again and they just asked me to do it.

Why is curly ribbon a thing of the past? Is it because you can buy a giant bag of already made bows for mere dollars? Is it a product of our gift bag and tissue paper generation? Is it one of those things that skips a generation - these girls kids will be asking their grandma's how to curl ribbon?

I don't know, but I'm going to single handedly (is that how you spell that?) keep it alive. So, the next time you need to wrap a present, throw some curly ribbon on there. No, not the kind you buy already curled, but the kind you curl yourself. It's easy! I promise.

Ok, just send it to me and I'll curl it and send it back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can curl ribbon, but I can't have it in my house. There are few things that Latex will get into, but for some reason this type of ribbon is the one thing that he will eat and immediately puke up 5 min later. EVERY TIME. So needless to say Christmas presents are wrapped interestingly, and balloons must have the ribbon trimmed short to be in the house.

As for the girls, it isn't THAT hard to curl ribbon. Good luck with that.

Jenny Moore said...

Ashley the art of curling ribbon is not lost!!! We still do it here and I promise to teach it to my children...we will keep it alive!!!!

Jess said...

Oh my word..they really couldn't do it? Tayler does it for me when we wrap presents. That really is funny! I am glad you are keeping that going in the pacific northwest! Love you.

Anonymous said...

My mom is the queen of curling ribbon. My grandma takes the ends of the ribbon and ties them after she's gone around the package and then curls it. While this looks nice, it makes getting into the package difficult since the ribbon does not snap easily and you will most likely take a chunk out of your finger before you get in the package. (Wow, run on sentence much?) My mom however is more clever. She takes the first piece and tapes it to the package and then wraps it around. Think + sign. Then she takes the end and tapes it next to the beginning. This is where she will attach her package bling. It puts the store bought ones to shame with how awesome she makes them. Curling some and leaving some short and pokey. You can always tell who wraps the packages in our family by what the ribbon looks like. "Wow, look at the wrapping on that one. Mom must have done that."

I can't have curling ribbon or anything remotely like it because Latex will eat it instantly. All packages that enter the house must have cat approved ribbons and bows. Any balloons must have ribbons cut to above cat grabbing lengths. I love to do the curls, but my cats intestinal tract is more important to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow look. I already responded to this post. Wee.