Monday, March 26, 2007

Ah...Spring!

What a sunny, beautiful day! If I look at our $2 target thermometer out on the deck, it says it's 87 degrees. What have we learned from this - you can't believe what a $2 target thermometer tells you when the sun is on it. It's probably close to 60 degrees though, which is nice.

I've been looking at our pretty spring bulbs blooming away out there. So, I took a picture of the tulips that just started blooming.

The big flower is an Ice Stick Tulip. The little ones are called tulipa species. Basically, that's what tulips looked like before we started playing around with them and making them into what we think of as tulips. Here's the weird thing - they look really similar, don't they? From the pictures on the bags, you wouldn't know that they looked alike. But they look so cute out there! I really like them. I'm so looking forward to getting the outside to look like what I think it should. It will probably take 10 years and then I'll just want to change it all again, but...that's the fun of being a plant lady! :)

Another awesome part of spring is that the hummingbirds are back!!

Not an awesome picture, but it's hard to get pictures of those little suckers! Sometimes they sit in our tree by the deck. They are as big as the leaf buds. It's funny!

Hummingbirds always make me think of my Grandma Sally. She would stop everything to watch the hummingbird eat. Now, I do it. I miss talking to her. She would have loved to see our hummingbird feeder up and the birds eating from it. I think they might even nest close to here. Wouldn't that be awesome to see a hummingbird nest?

Let's see, in Utah, and probably where most of you are, the crocus should be up and the daffodils should be starting to come up. Right? I love spring!

Have a wonderful day wherever you are!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Your flowers look beautiful! I can only imagine what the whole yard will look like. I wish I had a green thumb like you. I really need some help?! (subtle hint.. PLEASE COME :)

I love humming birds too! They do remind you of someone. That is neat that it is your Grandma Sally. It's a love note she is sending from her to you!

I happy that it is getting warm there!

Loves!

John and Laura said...

Pretty flowers!! Go you getting bulbs in. I guess that's why you're the plant lady, and I'm ... not. I need to come over and see them for real!

--Minerva