Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Are there Seven Things You Don't Know About Me?

I got "tagged" by my friend to share "Seven Things You Don't Know About Me". Are there 7 things that I would like to share? Hmmm...

1) When I was a kid, I would climb up in the apricot tree at my Grandma's house and just watch the horses. I would make mental notes about what they were doing. It made me feel like a real scientist.

2) I love the smell of dirt! There's nothing better! It always makes me smile!

3) I never got in trouble at school. I was never sent to the principles office. I never had detention. (That's kind of embarrassing. Talk about a goody two shoes!)

4) I had two chickens when I was in 2nd grade. As a class project, we got some chicken eggs, put them in an incubator and waited until they hatched. Once they hatched, the teacher said we could bring in a note from our parents if we wanted one. I went home and told my mom that I wanted a chicken because I never had a pet before. She laughed at me, then wrote out the note. My Grandma Cherryl picked me up from school the day I brought the chick home. She felt badly that it was going to be all alone, so she took me to a very smelly chicken farm and we picked out another one for a friend. One was black and one was white. Their names changed almost daily, so I can't tell you what they were named. Then, they ate all the seeds out of our neighbors garden (they'd get out of the chicken coop all the time) and the neighbors made me give them away. My dad gave them to one of his friends who had a farm. I realized when I was older that that's normally code for "we had them killed." I asked him and he PROMISED me that he really did give them to his friend with a farm. I hope so.

5) My cousins and I would climb up in my grandma's apricot tree and pretend that we lived there. We decided that we weren't going to come down, so we had better find something to eat. We tried some sticks and leaves, then decided we weren't going to stay in the tree and got down and had good food from my Grandma.

6) I have played with and fed lion cubs, servile cubs, baby goats, baby antelope, a miniature horse foal and 100 tarantula babies. I have made "mouse balls" for owls. (Mouse Balls are made by taking some horse meat and making a meat ball out of it with a mouse in the middle. Maybe that's why I don't like to make meat balls anymore.) I've fed armadillos and pygmy pigs. I've been scratched by iguanas and rabbits. I have petted a emu and been followed around by it. How did I do all this, you ask? I worked at Hogle Zoo from when I was 12 years old until I was about 16. The lion cubs were the most fun. They had HUGE paws!! The tarantula babies were the ABSOLUTE WORSE! I would have to pick out small crickets, open up these cups with lids and throw the cricket it. Sometimes the tarantula would jump at the cricket and I would always jump because I thought it would jump on me. I have always hated spiders. I do love animals though.

7) This one is a little embarrassing, but I'm going to share it anyway. I knew from the moment I met Brent that I was going to marry him. He was almost instantly my best friend. I'm so lucky!

Ok, everyone who is reading this is now officially "tagged"!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I knew you worked at Hogle Zoo. That's quite the resume!! And the goody two shoes thing... wow. Are we really friends?? :) Thanks for posting that!

Jess said...

Nice job Ash! Those are fun things that I didn't know (well some of them at least). How fun that you worked at Hogle Zoo! I about died having to feed the frog crickets.. I can't imagine having to feed tarantulas!

Thanks for the post!!

Love ya

Anonymous said...

Ok, Ash, you asked for it!
1. I never got detention either and actually volunteered to stay after school to help the teachers in grade school.
2. I was accused of cheating on a French test (when I wasn't) and I really disliked that teacher and class for the rest of the year!
3. I know how to say "I really dig that crazy be-bop music" in Japanese. I also know how to say "Eat my shorts" in Dutch.
4. In my Junior year of High school, I sluffed all the time and went to Sugarhouse Park or shopping in Sugarhouse. I even went on a tour of Brigham Young's Farmhouse at the original Sugarhouse location. I still ended up with a 3.0 so I figured why put myself out in school?
5. I sprained my ankle running through a golf course at night when we weren't supposed to be there and the grounds keeper almost caught us. Then I had to walk all the way home on a severely sprained ankle. On the plus side, I got out of having to dissect a frog the next day;)
6. I was in 3 commercials (one that was kind of an infomercial for the services that LDS hospital provided, and two commercials for KFC- background only but I got paid for them). Kind of fun.
7. I have been held up in two armed robberies and walked in on two break-ins. One robbery and break-in at KFC, and one robbery and break-in at our store in Arkansas.
Kind of dumb things but that's all I can think of right now.
Love and miss you, Jackie

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't think there is anything that you DON'T know about me, but I will put some things down...I guess you do take after me though and not your "rebel" aunt...geez....
1. I walked when I was 7 months old. I was the "talk of the town" when Mom and Dad would take me anywhere.
2. I was bit by a watersnake when I was about 10 and it started my lifeline fear of snakes! I HATE them.
3. The "girls" and went toilet papering a lot, but never got caught! (when we stayed overnight at Doris' house).
4. I have been to Disneyland over 35 times (and am getting withdrawals!!)
5. I have flown in a hot air balloon in the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. (neat experience!)
6. My first job was with the University Police Department at the U and I got to be "bate" to try and catch a "flasher" at the library (luckily, I didn't see him!)
7. I have a wonderful daughter, who I knew from the first moment I
saw her that she was going to be one of the loves of my life (along with her dad!)

Anonymous said...

"Rebel", huh? And I didn't even share the really bad stuff!!! You'll just have to wonder...

Anonymous said...

Ashley-

Very fun... the things you learn about people... Love it!