Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Wedding

On August 29, 1997, Brent and I were married for time and all eternity in the Jordan River Temple in South Jordan, Utah. Brent's Grandpa Behling was our sealer, which was awesome.

Brent had my car in Tooele so he could get to the Temple, so I rode with my parents. My family's friend Becky came over in the morning to do my hair. Once I decided that Brent was the one for me, I started growing my hair out. Then, I find this really great veil that is suppose to go around a bun, so I end up having my hair up. It still looked great though! I must say, I clean up good! My mom's friend Kayleen made my wedding dress. I'm so amazed that she would take that on and so thankful because it turned out PERFECT!

Just as we were going to leave, my dad got in the shower. My dad is like this. I should be used to it, but that day, I was a little nervous, so I freaked out. I feel badly that I yelled at my dad on my wedding day. Sorry Dad. You know I love you. But at least is got them out the door! I remember my mom saying, "It's not like they're going to start without you." Funny now, I must say, annoying then.

We get to the temple and I find Brent. He says to me, "I thought you were never going to get here." Cutie! What, did you think I changed my mind?

We had a wonderful sealing ceremony that I really don't remember much of. I do remember that there was a story about bears, but I have no idea why. As I said, Brent's Grandpa was the Sealer, and they would go backpacking all the time, so I'm sure the bears had something to do with that. Weird what sticks in your head.

Here are some pictures from that great day!

After the ceremony, the wedding luncheon was in Tooele, but we had a little bit of time before we had to be there - we weren't going to help set up or anything. :) So, we went to Wendy's and got a frosty. I sat there thinking, "Hey, all you people, can't you see that we just got married." I was just amazed that no one knew.

The luncheon was wonderful. We had it outside near Brent's parent's house. Good food, good people, fun time. It was under some trees so it wasn't even hot. Very nice!

Our reception was in the garden of the Lion House in Salt Lake City. The flowers were amazing and it was a perfect place! The refreshments were a cake buffet - tons and tons of cakes you could choose from. Unfortunately, we didn't get any, but we didn't notice that at the time. A harpist was playing in the background. A perfect night!

The farther I am from the actual wedding day, the less most of that stuff matters. What really matters is that we knelt across from each other at the alter in a Holy Temple and were made an eternal family. I tell the Young Women all the time that I got to marry my prince charming in the right place. I will never forget that feeling even if I can't remember all the words.

We have a GLORIOUS life. True, things have not gone exactly to plan, but that doesn't make the journey any less sweet. Brent is my best friend, my greatest love, and some days the biggest pain. :) (Couldn't be totally mushy.) I couldn't imagine my life without him. Heavenly Father has blessed us so much and I am so thankful.

I think it's the best when you can look back on your life with someone and see that though there were some bad times, the good times totally eclipse them. I know that we've had bad times. I know what they were like when we were in them, but I would go through them again because they've brought us closer. I'm sure there's going to be more ups and downs, but I know we can do it.

I love you Brent! I couldn't imagine being without you. Thank you for everything!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your story!! I'm such a sucker for lovey stories! Thanks for doing this. You looked amazing as a bride. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice memories...it was fun to hear all over again. Glad it was a beautiful day for you and you have fond memories of it. Glad too, that you are so happy together. That is all a Mother can ask for...that their kids choose the right partners and are happy. We love you and Brent, too and want to wish you a Happy 10th Anniversary!
Love,
Mom (&Dad)

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice post Ashley. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Nice trip down memory lane Ashley!
I can't believe it has been 10 years already!!! Time flies!!
Can't wait to see you guys!

Jess said...

You were a beautiful bride! It's fun to hear about the day all over again. That was an awesome day. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BRENT AND ASHLEY!