Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ashley's Very Non-Politically Correct Tirade

The other day, I got online and was greeted by the headline, "Albus Dumbledore is gay." I clicked on the article and read about how J.K. Rowling had told an audience who asked who Dumbledore's true love was that he was gay. The article went on to say that on most of the fan sites, people were saying that they always knew this and were so glad that she had admitted it.

I have a couple of things to say about this.

The first is: What book was I reading because I didn’t get that at all. I love the Harry Potter books. We own all 7 of them and I've read all of them at least twice. I am so impressed with J.K. Rowling and the world that she created. I've always loved Dumbledore's personality. In fact, I have really disliked the new Dumbledore in the movies. He kind of ruins it for me, but that's another story. I must not be too good at "getting" things when I read a book. I have a hard time seeing things that aren't there. If the page says they went to Diagon Alley, then they went to Diagon Alley...I don't try to look between the lines. So, I was completely caught off guard by this declaration. I just don't understand what hinted that he was gay. My gay-dar must be in the shop!

I have always had a problem with not "getting" the point of a book. I hated reading when I was a kid. I especially hated my 10th grade English class. We read a TON of short stories that year. One of them that I liked when I first read it was The Rocking Horse Winner. I have no idea who wrote it...that was too long ago. It was about a little boy who would rock on his rocking horse when things were bad. I related to this because I used to go to the horse pasture when I needed to cheer up. This all came crashing down when I went to class to discuss the short story. This story was not in fact about a boy riding his rocking horse. It was about something much more - disturbing? I won't go into it because it still really bugs me. But, needless to say, What short story was I reading because I didn't see that!

I was somewhat vindicated when I took a children's literature course in college. My professor was this really cool ex-kindergarten teacher who could remember EVERYTHING about EVERY book he ever read - kind of reminded me of Brent's mom. I wish I could do that. I have a hard time remember what the book was about a week later. Anyway, my professor was really big on not telling you what you should think the book was about. He felt that any interpretation was ok. As long as you read the book, he was happy. He even told us of an interview he had ready with Natalie Babbitt, the author of Tuck Everlasting. (Would you choose to live forever?) The interviewer was asking her about the man in the yellow suit. He wanted to know what exactly the yellow suit meant. Was it because the man was a coward? Was he color blind, what? Ms. Babbitt replied that she needed a color with two syllables and no one wears purple. People had read all this into the color of the man's suit. And she hadn't thought about any of that when she was writing the book. It still makes me smile!

The second thing that bugs me about this whole revelation is – WHAT DOES IT MATTER? Does it matter that Dumbledore is gay? Not to me. But, I never wondered either. To me, Dumbledore’s job is to help Harry fulfill his destiny. Nothing more. I never thought, “Hmm, I wonder what Dumbledore’s back story is.” That’s just not how I read books. And, apparently, Gay Right’s Activists are saying that this is a HUGE step towards being accepted. So, basically, now that we, as the general public, have been tricked into liking a gay person, we will now accept your lifestyle? That’s not how I read books either.

Let me just say this, I don’t want this to be some big political discussion. If I learned anything from my Grandpa it is to not argue with anyone about their basic beliefs. He always did and you learned early on that you should just keep your mouth shut. It’s too emotional for most people. I was just so amazed at the reaction this revelation caused that I had to share. I will say this, as I get older, I get more and more conservative. That’s as far as I’m going to go.

Am I going to throw away all my Harry Potter books and never speak his name again? No. I still love the books. I don’t really think it matters. I’m just going to go about reading my books and seeing the words how they are written on the page and not trying to read anything else into them.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Yes!!! Oh The Rocking Horse! What memories... And the one where the hiker kept slipping and falling into the "pools"? Remember that one?! I still can't get over thinking our teacher was just a "dirty old man", even though I'm sure he was teaching stuff that was considered standard symbolism. Oh well. Good comments I have to say!

Anonymous said...

Ash,
I totally agree with your polical-incorrectness. Unlike so many people who are now not allowing their children to read the books or see the movies, I believe that what you make of a story is in your own imagination. I still like the books and the movies, and unless in the 6th movie the director has Dumbledore going on long moonlit walks and holding hands with his male love interest, I will continue to do so.
Having said the above, I must also state that if the lesson JK Rowlings was trying to impart was tolerance, I can't totally disagree with that, however, I personally do not believe in the gay lifestyle. I do believe that everyone has the right to co-exist peacefully and that all people can contribute in a good way to society, just as I believe we all have the right to believe what we chose to believe in. That's what's cool about a free society.
I am now off my soap box.
P.S. I agree with what you about the new Dumbledore in the movies. For me, Dumbledore is Richard Harris (although Peter O'Toole could have done the job nicely)!
Your Favorite Aunt,
Jackie

Roy said...

Ashley, I'm totally with you here. It struck me as so ... unnecessary. Who really cares what sexual orientation he is? It doesn't matter one way or the other to the entire story line. It's just such a shame that she would go off and tack this particular bit of trivia on to the wonderful fable she had created. In all the books, I can't think of a single instance where his being gay would have altered how he behaved or how the story would have progressed. Had it been important, I'm certain it would have come up, but clearly it didn't matter, so why should it matter now? It's just annoying.

Jess said...

Very well said Ash. I agree that it is ridiculous when people read so much into things and want to know SO much about these fictional characters and make them so real.

I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but would like too. I'll keep what you said in mind when I do.

Seriously people-- get a grip!! Gay or not gay who cares!

I like your tirades! :)

. said...

I'm so glad I am not the only one that didn't catch the fact that he is gay! Like you, I am not going to believe it and continue enjoying the books as I saw it!