Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Joys of Living in the Northwest

We love living here in the Northwest. We love all the huge trees! We love the weather...even the rain isn't too bad. You get used to it. We especially love that it doesn't get that hot in the summer. And if it does get hot, it cools off in a couple of days. We love all the different plants we can grow. I'm especially excited about our dahlia garden. It will be awesome when it's full.

But, I don't love the slugs! Where I grew up, slugs were there, but they weren't really a big deal. They were about 1 inch long at the biggest and they didn't really eat a lot. Here is a slug I found on our lawn the other day....

Just in case you can't see the ruler too well, that slug is at least 5 inches long. FIVE INCHES?? That's crazy! These stupid slugs can completely eat a dahlia plant that is about 1 foot tall overnight.

So, the next time you're thinking that slugs are a problem, just remember us up here in the Northwest with our granddaddy of all slugs and count your blessings!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice slug... did you name it? Maybe it could be your pet?!!!

Anonymous said...

Eeeww. That's pretty yucky. The funny thing about slugs, is that they aren't really mean creatures (like raccoons!), they're just ugly (even their name is ugly) and they eat everything beautiful and wonderful in your yard. Now, if they ate blackberries, I might be able to get used to the sticky sludge they leave everywhere...

Jess said...

Seriously???
That thing is huge!!! I really didn't think they got that big!

That would scare me and I would probably sit on it.

How funny. I will know that grandpa slug is at your house! Hee hee!

Courtney said...

Good job getting out the ruler! I chuck them into the road or the yard waste before I ever think of measuring them! I saw slugs nearly twice that long near our little yellow house up in Silverdale. So gross! I still can't believe the super fat ones I found in our yard this year! Ugh!

Angel said...

Um, ew. I glad that I don't have to worry about those...