Monday, December 24, 2007

Adventures in Babysitting

First off, I have to say a few things. I am not a parent. I love kids, but I don't have any - well, besides Brent of course. As a non-parent, I've noticed that parents can talk for HOURS about poop. I've never had a poop story before. Now I can join in!

Another thing - Courtney had her baby on Sunday. His name is Aaron and there'll be more about him in another post. Seriously, it's a good poop story.

And because of the graphic nature of my poop story, I apologize in advance for some of the words that are going to appear in this blog. If you are a non-parent, like me, and a bit squeamish when it comes to poop, I would recommend not reading further.

So, because of Courtney's baby-having, we became the instant "parents" of 3 kids this weekend. It's really fun, usually. Ok, on to the poop story.

I get to Court and Brad's house early in the morning on Saturday so that they can head on up to Silverdale to bring this newest member of their family into the world. Court and I are discussing things to do as the instant "parents" of 3 kids.

She says, "Oh, and Kyle hasn't pooped for a couple of days. Give him some medicine. And, did you read John's blog about the potty training?"

"Yeah," I say.

"Well, let's just say, don't put the poop in the toilet...it will clog." (You've got to read John's blog.)
HUH? Who signed up for this? I signed up for good kids who basically take care of themselves and only need me to play with.

So, I give Kyle some medicine and hope that it takes a couple of days to kick in.

If I was only so lucky.



Look at that little face. Isn't he just adorable? You would never think something so... Back to my story.

Suddenly, Kyle disappears to do what we all know he's going to do. He's in his room with the door closed for way too long. Opening a door after a 2 year old has poop is not one of my favorite things about kids!

Anyway, he's finally done filling his diaper and now ... well, now it's my turn.

I just can't be too graphic. I've been trying to think of someway to describe what was in his diaper. Let's just say...it was the size of a soft ball. Literally. How could that much stuff come out of such a tiny body? Seriously, it's a tiny body. He's been really into running around in nothing but his diaper and he's a skinny little thing! It was all I could to to not have dry heaves.

Then, the topper is, I'm telling Court about this when we go see them and she says, "Yeah, his regular poops are huge too."

Is it because he's a boy? I haven't changed as many boy diapers as girl diapers. Is it because he has too much fiber in his diet? Is it just because he thinks it's funny? I don't know the answers to these questions, but...at the next dinner party when the parents start swapping poop stories, I'm bring out the soft ball poop story. This is going to be awesome!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club Ashley! Sounds like you've been well initiated!

Courtney said...

Hilarious! And oh so true! Thanks for being such a great "mom". We love you!