Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Musings

I'm sitting here looking at my HUGE list of things that need to get done before Christmas and thinking about last night. I'm the first counselor in the Young Women's in my ward. There have been good times and there have been a lot of bad times. We've been having some "growing pains" and I get frustrated sometimes. But last night reminded me why I keep at it even when I'm frustrated. We went caroling. We did this last week as well, but we didn't finish our list - such is life when you live in a ward that is bigger than a block. Anyway, we had a great time. We laughed, we sang, it was great. I just love all those girls that I serve. They are amazing! I'm so thankful for my opportunity to know them. They are awesome!

I took one of the girls home last night and she asked me about patriarchal blessings. We had a great talk about what they are and what she needs to do to get one. I'm so excited for her to have that opportunity. It will be great for her!

I have to admit - I feel like I have spent most of my life "catching up" with the Mormon lingo. I think that there should be a Mormon to English dictionary. I feel very behind all the time. But you know what? I'm really not. I can answer all these questions the girls come up with. And most of the time, the answers are pretty good - if I do say so myself. It still amazes me. But I know that most of the time, it's not me answering the questions and that amazes me even more. How cool is that?

I remember one time we had an activity when we were going to all read the Book of Mormon together. (We were trying to read the whole Book of Mormon before camp.) Anyway, it turned into a question and answer time. Another one of those times when the Spirit was there and we all felt it. It was so cool. What an awesome experience!

Young Women's is one of the hardest callings out there. But I just love it. I know that's normally when you get released, so I hope that's not going to happen. But, then I'll love my next calling and miss these amazing girls. If you ever get the chance to work with the youth, do it. It can be frustrating and tiring, but it is so worth it.

4 comments:

Tina said...

Hi Ashley! I found you on Laura's blog. Hope you don't mind me snooping :o).
Anyway, I just have to tell you that Tori LOVES you. You do a FABULOUS job in YW so I hope they never release you either...

Jess said...

Ash-- I am sure they are equally as thankful to have you in that position as you are to be in it.

You have amazing abilities to make things better in any situation.

It would be a hard calling because that age is so impressionable and I remember all the time what my Y.W. leaders said or did.

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

YW's would be a fun calling. Someday (hopefully) I'll be in a family ward were I would have the chance to serve in YW. (Hopefully I will graduate in order to get there and not flunk out of the singles ward!)

Kyle and Marci said...

Ashely! You are awesome in that calling and I only wished I could have worked with you longer in our previous ward! I would have to agree that working with the youth is fun!
Love ya, Marci