Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What I've Learned

It seems like lately has just been a big learning experience for me. I thought I'd share some of them.

#1 - plastic lids will not hold up in the oven. Well, actually, Brent helped me learn this one. We were taking dinner over to someone in our ward, but they weren't there when we got there, so we went home and Brent put the stuff back in the oven. After a little bit, they call to say they're home and Brent goes to pull the chicken roll ups out of the oven. He says, "Did you take off the lid?" Then he looks back in the oven and the lid is now a big circle of melted plastic. I shouldn't laugh too hard at him though. A few Thanksgiving's ago, I set the yams on fire. (I was melting the marshmallows, you get the picture.)

#2 - If you get a new hair style, you had better have a lot of self esteem before your 3 year old sees it. I was watching Kyle and Aaron for Court last week so she could get a haircut. It was actually the easiest babysitting I've ever done because they slept through the whole thing. Anyway, when Kyle got up from his nap, Court was in the shower. So as soon as she came out, he says, "Momma, why did you do that? I don't like your hair, etc, etc." I was trying not to laugh, but thinking in my head, "Jeez, glad that's not my hair." Court's hair does look cute!

#3 - If there are chips available, why eat other perfectly good food. This actually reminds me a lot of my oldest niece Emmy, who is going to be 11 in a little over a month. Anyway, I got to spend the day with Marcela and Reyes last week. Reyes is a crazy little thing. Lots of fun to watch. She's in the stepping on everything and jumping off everything phase. I made quesadillas for lunch. She loves quesadillas and normally will dip then in salsa. She was eating really good until the chips came out for chips and salsa. Then, who needed the rest of her food. She wanted chips. Now all we need to do is teach her to say, "Ashie, I like chips!"

#4 - Slugs can completely eat a dahlia plant over night. I already knew this, but I've been reminded lately. The slugs are having a field day this year. It's been cool and wet all spring, so they are getting big and voracious. I hate slugs. They suck!

Well, that's about it for the last week. I guess you're always learning, right?

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Loved this post! Great observations on life. And darn those honest kids!!!

Jess said...

Ash you are too funny! I love this post.

Can't wait to see you in 13 days (yes, Tayler is counting down :)

Angel said...

Ug, I am so glad that we don't have to deal with those nasty slugs that you get there. Is there anything you can do to keep them away?

Anonymous said...

I love your "lessons learned" Ashley! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Ashley I love reading your blogs because they make me smile and laugh. They are funny because they are always the truth!!!
We even had the "Ashie, I like chips" said at breakfast today!! It will be a popular family saying forever!!