Thursday, August 28, 2008

Coyotes, Straight Hair and Medical Terminology...Oh My!

We live in a fairly small town. According to the sign, there are 8,350 people who live here. We love it! Well, there could be a few more restaurants, but that's another story. We also love where we live. While we have neighbors on both sides, there isn't anything behind us but a green belt. I love the trees and birds! We also hear a lot of coyotes howling at night, which almost always wakes me up.

So, since Brent has been working weekends lately, I've been doing a lot of reading. I was on our back deck doing just that when I heard something. I had just seen the neighbor's cat who we have dubbed Garden Kitty since he likes to sun himself on the rocks by our garden. So, I thought the noise was just him. Then I see something out of the corner of my eye and what is is? A coyote in our backyard. It just sat there and looked around for a minute then disappeared back into the green belt. I wanted to come in and get the camera but I was sure that I would scare it away if I moved so I just watched it. It was only about 50 feet away. Very weird.


Yesterday I went to get my hair done. You have to do that a lot more when you have short hair. She asked me if I had always had curly hair. I told her that when I was younger it was curly in places and straight in places but as I've gotten older, it's gotten A LOT curlier. She was excited about that because her daughter's hair is kind of curly now and she wants it to be curly when she gets older. Then she asked me if I liked my hair. I told her that I didn't like it when I was little. It was a fro a lot and I just looked like a rag-a-muffin. Then it used to bother me when everyone else could choose whether they wanted straight hair or curly, but I just got curly. I mean, we couldn't even straighten my hair. (Just ask Courtney. She worked on it for like 2 hours and it went back to curly in less time than that.) I think my hair stylist took this as a challenge because she did this...

It just looks weird. I kept seeing myself in the mirror and thinking, "Man, who is that?" It does look cute though. I thought I might do it every once in a while but when Brent saw me, he said:

"Weird, I don't like it."

I'm so glad he loves me for who I am. The curly hair is so much easier! And I do like it now. If I could get rid of the white, we might talk, but the curly is awesome!

I've been doing classes to become a medical transcriptionist since January. Most of these classes have been, well, I'll just say it - BORING! I know how to use a computer! I've NEVER LIKED ENGLISH and could care less what an adverb is. (I know what an adverb is, I just don't like having to label it.) At any rate, I was getting a little discouraged.

But now I've started Medical Terminology. I know that I'll be able to remember how to spell all these words some day. I'm really good at memorization, but it is still a lot to remember! I am no longer bored with my classes, which is nice, but I'm having to concentrate a whole lot more than I have since I graduated from college. I know I can do it, I'm just a little afraid there will be a test when I'm trying to get a job and I'll fail.

Ok, I need to stop worrying and get back to studying! What does myocardial infarction mean again?

7 comments:

John and Laura said...

Ooh--I like your hair! You're so cute!

And I didn't know you were doing medical transcription. Very cool. Good luck!

Katie & Jared said...

I LOVE your hair straight. It looks awesome and I think its a good look for you. It is a pain to straighten hair though. I have to do it every day. But it does look good on you!!!

Anonymous said...

Straight hair is a cute look on you Ashley... what is Brent thinking? Good luck with those big words.... I definitely couldn't do it!

Anonymous said...

Your hair does look different - never seen you like that before but you do look cute! I am sure it took her FOREVER to get it straight. Lucky you though to be the girl with "naturally curly hair" - wash and dry hair...if we all could be so lucky! Love ya!
Mom

Courtney said...

Well, I think I may agree with Brent on this one. I'm just too used to your curly locks! I'm glad you like the haircut though. So important in life!!!

And coyotes in your yard! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

We love your hair straight but we all voted on curly best!!!
We just love you for you..not matter how your hair looks!!

Jess said...

I do like the straight hair Ash! It's fun to see it on you, although I do love the curls too.

Good luck with the Medical terminology class.

How fun to see a coyote!