Saturday, November 15, 2008

California = Aggressive Drivers

When I think of California, especially Southern California, I think of:
Disneyland (of course)
Sunny Days
Sandy Beaches
Aggressive Drivers

I've always known that California drivers are aggressive. That's just something you know, right? I could bring up a really funny story about my dad wrecking a rental car here in California, but he's still a little touchy about it, so I won't bring it up. But it's funny.

I learned how to drive in one of the least friendly driving places in the country. I know you would think that Utah would be a friendly driving place, but it wasn't where I grew up. If there is a merge, people will speed up so you won't get a head of them. They will also never let you in when you're trying to change lanes. When you drive there, you just have to learn to sometimes use your car as a weapon (Yes you will let me in!). May I say, I realize that there are good and bad drivers everywhere, it has just been my opinion that driving in Utah can be very frustrating.

Because of my years in Utah, I have become a somewhat aggressive driver. (I have slowed down a bit now that I know that I'm not made of steel.) It doesn't bother me too much, especially if there isn't snow on the ground. Moving to Kitsap County was a little hard for me because people there are not aggressive drivers. I mean, they stop and let people out. What's that all about! To happily drive in our little county, I have to turn off my aggressiveness.

And now, I'm in California, where everyone else is aggressive too. It's awesome. Because I've had a little more time to drive around on my own, I've come to realize something about the aggressive California driver. The roads here MAKE you be aggressive. There are TONS of those dumb on ramp/off ramps where you have about 100 yards to change lanes. There are a TON of places where you have to fly across at least 2 lanes of traffic in order to get to your exit. It's a little crazy! And exciting.

I feel like I should have one of those bumper stickers that says, "Get in, sit down, be quiet." Hold on and enjoy the ride. I hope my parent's will feel that way next week when they're the ones that have to deal with my driving. Get ready guys! Like I said, it's kind of fun. It would be even more fun with my old '77 Camaro that I drove in high school. Now that thing had some get up and go! My Saturn's nothing to sneeze at, but it's no V8!

4 comments:

Jenny Moore said...

You Go Girl!!!
Loved your post!!!

CB said...

You nailed it! I am a California native and you have to be aggressive but Cali drivers also understand driving rules (which Idahoans don"t and it makes me crazy - I could write a book!) and don't play silly games. If you are on a 10 lane freeway that is packed and you put your blinker on you need to go for it and KNOW that the other driver will give you a couple seconds to get in. Can't be a squeemish driver either!

Love it and I SO enjoyed your post because I really miss driving in California. Idaho driving sucks - they just don't get the "art" of it. Enjoy!!

P.S. Utah drivers can be downright rude and dangerous (no offense to anyone!).

Jess said...

You are so funny Ash!

How much longer are you there for? We miss you!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I heard that driving in Kuwait is crazy, but now that I've seen it first hand- YIKES! I am kind of scared to get behind the wheel.