Friday, February 13, 2009

I've Been Thinking About it for Awhile

What have I been thinking about, you ask? These beautiful people. They are my grandparents, Jack and Sally Gentry. I really don't have a newer picture of either of them. I didn't realize until after they died that we didn't really have pictures. They hated it. (So, learn from me - take pictures even if they grumble!)

Why have I been thinking about them? I'll give you a hint.
Grandma and Grandpa have been gone for over two years now, and I really wanted to do their temple work. But...I was a little afraid. I wanted them to be happy about it. So, I kept waiting and waiting for a "sign." I don't know what I wanted exactly (maybe them coming to me in a dream and saying, "Now!"), just something to tell me they were ready. I never got that sign, but I did get an opportunity to go to the temple last Saturday and start their temple work.

It was AMAZING! I guess that was my sign, right? I loved hearing their names said in that beautiful temple. It's hard to explain, but it was awesome!

I just love my grandparents so much and I want to be with them forever.

I love the temple. I love the fact that we can be together forever. It is such a blessing in our lives. I love that we have the opportunity to do the work for those who have gone before us. I now want to always do family names. It brought such a different spirit to the ordinances.

I told everyone at the temple that these were MY grandparents. I got a couple of hugs and a couple of big smiles. I think they understood what an awesome experience I was having.

When Brent was giving the family prayer at my grandma's funeral, he said something to the effect of, "Now she'll be waiting to welcome everyone home." I know that's true. I know I'll see both of them again. I know they will no longer be sick. I don't want to say that I'm looking forward to that day, but I am. I miss them more than I can ever say.

Love you guys!

(Ok, I'm going to stop crying now and go see what Brent's doing. Sorry for the sappy post.)

10 comments:

John and Laura said...

That's really sweet. Made me cry, too. What a great experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Tina said...

That is SO awesome, Ashley. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sometimes we all just need a good sappy post. Thanks, I need that.

Jenny Moore said...

Ashley, that is so wonderful! What a neat experience to do your grandparents work. I've gone to the temple 3 weeks in a row and I find myself wanting to go more often. I love the feeling of peace there.
I'm sure you grandma and grandpa are so happy and you'll be their favorite because of what you did for them!!!

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful post, Ashley. It had me tearing up as well. Grandma and Grandpa loved you so much - you were their "first" and always held a special place in their hearts. I know that they are thrilled that you have started their work (as am I) and I KNOW that they will be there to welcome you with open arms when the time comes. You are a credit to both of them, Ashley and I love you!

Courtney said...

Aw man! You got me crying again! Your mom did too with her comment. I'm so glad that you were able to do that work for them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you and your family. What a wonderful thing!

. said...

That is awesome Ashley! So, neat that you are able to do their work.

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
I remember Mom saying to me when I would ask her why she didn't want to become a member of the LDS church since she lived her life so much like a member; "When I die, someone will do the work for me anyway, so why bother?". (You know how dry her sense of humor was!) So anyway, someone has done the work for her and Dad now! All I can say is Thank you, Ash!
Love from your favorite aunt,
Jackie

Jess said...

That is amazing Ash! Thank you so much for sharing. You are such a great example to me and what a great experience. I know they are smiling above.

We love you!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. What do you do in the temple with dead people. Ok, so that sounds a little crass, but I really don't get it.

You look a lot more like grandma than me or Jen. I look more like my mom. I kind of wish I could see the picture better since it is so small.