Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Pancake Roll-ups

Brent and I have been married for 12 years now. (I know...that IS a long time.) Throughout our marriage, his family has spoken in fondness for what they call Pancake Roll-ups. Every time these Pancake Roll-ups were brought up, Brent's family would sing their praises while the in-laws would look at each other with confusion in their eyes.

What are Pancake Roll-ups, you ask?

They are an invention of Brent's mom that look something like this...
What you do is make a pancake, put cooked ground beef and cheese inside the pancake, roll it up and put maple syrup on top. I must admit, the idea of cheese and maple syrup never really sounded good to me.


But, in my new spirit of "hey, I can try anything once" - did I ever mention that I just had raw oysters for the first time? They taste like the ocean. It's weird. I have yet to decide whether I like oysters or not. But I digress - I decided to give Brent the thumbs up to make them while his family was here for Thanksgiving.


I had to document the exciting event. After all these years of hearing about these famed Pancake Roll-ups, I was finally getting a chance to eat one.

Marcela tried them too.

What did we think? Well, I don't know exactly what Marcela thought, but I thought they were pretty good. I don't think I'll ever say, "You know what I want for dinner...pancake roll-ups." But I definitely won't make a face if they are suggested.

Brent's family thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing...eating pancake roll-ups, watching us try them for the first time, laughing at our reluctance.


And we all survived the encounter and came out better people.

*If you need the recipe, just let me know! :)*

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I don't think I'll be asking for the recipe, but I'm glad you and Marcela were brave enough to try them! Funny Lintons!

Mom said...

Hummmmmm, I think I will pass. I don't think the cheese,meat, and maple sryup would be a good combo for me. But yeah for you in trying something new. Glad everyone enjoyed dinner! Hey, I tryed oysters, too - don't think I would ever ask for a big plate of those either, but they were ok.
Love ya!

Jess said...

Wow Ash, I must admit I am TOTALLY impressed! Even now I think they sound a little weird and I have eaten lots of them.. I'm pretty sure I requested them every time I had the chance. You are a good woman. I love that you blogged about that. I'm sure Sean will have to post a comment, and Steve too.
Cute pictures! Love you. Almost happy birthday ;)

Jen said...

I'm so proud of you Ashley!!
See we have a way of wearing people down!!
How about raisins in your cinnamon rolls?!!!! :)

Julie said...

I love the pancake roll-up blog! That was awesome. Way to finally try it! They are delicious!