Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oops

Have you ever had the experience of hearing someone's voice and realizing that something was really wrong? I had that experience just last night. Brent was out in the garage working on a scratching post for Daisy. It was getting close to bedtime so when I heard the door open and Brent go into the bathroom downstairs, I didn't think anything of it. Then I heard him yell at Daisy to get down, and I could tell something was wrong. Then he called up to me asking for a paper towel and I really knew something was wrong.

As I headed down the stairs, I could see a big drop of blood on the floor, and then another. Then I walked into the bathroom and he had his hand over the sink and the sink was covered in blood. I went into "mother" mode and asked if I could see it. There was so much blood that it was hard to see what it looked like, but I could tell it was bad. "Ok," I said, "let's go to the emergency room." To which Brent replied, "Ok" which told me that it was bad. (He caught a glass as it was breaking a few years ago and had to have stitches for the first time and he PROMISED he would never get stitches again.)

I don't know exactly what happened, but apparently he was using a utility knife to shave some wood off a corner of something and it slipped and went through his thumb instead. Yuck!

So, we go to the 24-hour urgent care that recently opened in our town, which was nice. We were the only ones waiting for a little while, but then some people came in who were complaining of nausea - holding their puke buckets - and I started praying to be called back before any spewing went on, because then I would throw up, then they would throw up...it would be a vicious cycle. Thankfully we got called back just after that.

You know it's a bad cut when the nurse barely pulls off the blood soaked paper towel and says, "Yep, you're going to need a few stitches." That's when they started soaking the wound and I remembered to take a picture...

You can't see, but it goes right through his fingernail too. Again, I have to say - yuck!

It took about 1-1/2 hours, but we came home with him looking a little more Frankenstein-ish...
They couldn't stitch under the finger nail, so they just put in three. They filled him full of pain meds and sent us home. It was about midnight by this time so we'll just say that it was a short night. He has a hard time not doing things, but I'm yelling at him to sit and he does sometimes. At least it's not his leg...we are going to the Olympics afterall. (Do I need to keep saying that? I'm excited.)

Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Brent....OUCH!! So sorry you had to do that and sorry it was just before your trip. Hope it doesn't give you any problems.
Take care and I hope it will feel better soon. Be safe and have a good time...Thumbs up!!!
Love ya!

Courtney said...

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! I'm glad he consented to getting some stitches. At least he'll have time to rest it while you're having lots of fun at the Olympics!!

John and Laura said...

ouch! Nice job taking pictures of the wound. I'm kind of morbid like that. Have fun in Canada. Go USA!

Julie said...

OUCH! Nice battle would for a cat... there is dedication if I've ever seen it! :^) Hope your finger heals quickly and doesn't hinder you too much so you can enjoy the olympics!