Monday, March 08, 2010

Maybe a Zipper Next Time?

I shouldn't even joke about it, but I have to do something, right? The other question is, how many posts can I do about a cat that I promised myself I wouldn't do posts about? At least one more I guess. (I won't be offended if you skip this one. It's turning into a long post about my cat, but apparently I have to get it out, so...)

So, last Tuesday dawned a great day. Daisy was acting like she felt pretty good and I was feeling pretty good too since the tv repair man was suppose to be here to finally fix our tv. When we brought Daisy home from the vet, they lent us this huge dog-type kennel so she could be in there when she wasn't with me. When the tv repair guy got here, I put her in the kennel and went about my business.

About an hour into her being in the kennel, and the guy fixing our tv, I hear her start to meow. She knows I'm home, she knows there's someone downstairs and it's just bugging her. Then she meows really loudly, which isn't like her. I went in to check on her. After a second I realized she'd pulled the pin out of her leg. Yep, that horrible contraption that was outside her leg was now held on with only one pin, not two. I immediately called the vet and they said I had to bring her in, "Well, duh," I thought. "I just wanted to make sure you knew that we were coming." Anyway, then it dawned on me that there was a stranger in our basement. What was I going to do? After a couple of phone calls, I got a hold of Uncle Gary who immediately dropped what he was doing to come over and sit with the tv guy so I could take Daisy in. That was so sweet of him, I can hardly explain it. As soon as Brent can eat sweets again and doesn't whine each time I talk about baking cookies, Uncle Gary's getting a bunch!

So, I get to the vet's and I wait and wait. By this time, I think Daisy had gone into a little shock because she was just sitting there. They finally took me back, with somewhat accusing questions. (Did she jump off something? No! Did you let her get too hyper? No!) But then the vet came in and was so nice. He said that he didn't think there was anyway she could have done this, but she did. He also said it wasn't my fault, I was doing what I was suppose to, so he made me feel better. But, they had to keep her to see what damage she had caused. He promised to call me later to tell me what they found.

I am so thankful about a couple of things with this: 1) The vet was going out of town this week, which I knew, but he was still there when this happened. There are other vets there, but he's the one who did the surgery. 2) It happened during the day and not at night. I couldn't even have imagined what I would have done...

So, after a few hours of waiting, he called me and said that when she pulled out the pin (probably catching it on the screen of the kennel), she pulled out a couple of screws that were holding the plate onto her leg. He said that he didn't know what he was going to do, so he would think about it that night and call me in the morning.

The next day he said that he was going to go back in - maybe they should put in a zipper! I mean, this is the third time in a week - and take off the plate which wasn't working and put in some pins. He didn't put the pins in before because of the nature of the break, but this was now our best option.

On Thursday evening, I got home a groggy, grumpy and frustrated kitty with a broken leg, again. Poor thing. But she looks so much better:

She still can't walk on all 4 legs, nor can she bend that leg because her muscles are so tight, but the fact that she doesn't have that stupid external device makes me feel so much better. They said not to expect her to put her foot down for a week or two, so I think she's doing pretty good. I just hope this is the one that fixes it and they really don't have to put in a zipper!

Even though Daisy has been taking up most of my thoughts and time this last week and a half, I did want to show you that I have done some other things.

I taught in Relief Society yesterday. I think it went well. I love to teach and I don't get a lot of chance to do it in this calling, so that made me happy.

Also, I've done two bulletin boards this year and wanted to show you how cool I am...just kidding. Really, it's a lot my Cricut! But I am cool.

This one was for February. We had a birthday party for all the RS sisters. It was a fun night with ideas and cake!

This one is for this month. Our No Book Club is just basically a girl's night out. I hope it works out.

Brent's thumb is healing quite well. He can go longer and longer without a band aide on, which is nice. The nail is thinking about falling off too, so that will be pretty when that happens. Good thing girls like scars - or at least that's what he tells me.

Anyway, that's what's going on in our neck of the woods.

7 comments:

Mom said...

Poor Daisy...she has had it so tough the last week or so (so has her mom!!) She still looks a little grumpy in that picture, it is like she is saying "WHAT??" I am sure she will improve a little more each day and everyone will be so happy when she is back on all 4 feet and running around and being her Daisy self. Give her a love for me!! (and one for you, too!)
Love you!

Mom said...

Oh...I forgot. Your Bulletin Boards turned out great!! You are really getting your use out of your Cricut. Glad you are having such fun and everything is turning out so special!

John and Laura said...

I'm so sorry about Daisy having to go through yet another surgery! :( I hope it's the last one.

I've baked cookies TWICE since Lent started. Once to thank the people who moved our piano and again for the funeral on Saturday. ha ha ha! You're much nicer than me, I guess. :)

Your bulletin boards look so great! I assumed they were your work. Good job, Ash!

Courtney said...

She definitely looks less "franken-kitty" without the external device. Hang in there!

Jenny Moore said...

Poor Daisy, glad she's feeling better!
Please explain the Brent, no sweets thing...I mean he is a Linton and it is in our genetic makeup to have a sweet tooth!!! What's up?!!!!
Love your posters...I'm jealous, I want a crickut!!!
Hugs

Kathy said...

So sorry about poor Daisy. You are a much better mama than I would be for her. But having a pet you love is like having kids you are always worrying about them and they take up time and money. I know your heart hurts when they hurt so Best to both you and Daisy.

. said...

That poor cat! I hope it heals fast!

Nice job on the bulletin boards.

Glad Brent's finger is healing. How much longer until the no sweets thing is over?