Monday, May 23, 2011

Why oh Why Do I NEVER Listen

I have to say, I'm kind of annoyed at myself today. Let me explain.

On Saturday, we were driving around running errands - one of which was a new thermostat for our water heater, but that's another story. As we're heading home, Brent notices that my car was overheating a little bit. This is VERY unusual for my car. As he was commenting on that, I remembered that it had started a little funny when I was leaving my RS thing that morning. Hmmm...

So, we got home and Brent looked and couldn't see anything wrong, so we chalked it up to a fluke and went about our way.

We have 9 am church. Love getting home at noon, HATE having to get up and be presentable before 9 am. And to add to my fun yesterday, I had a 8 am meeting. I swear, I'm always up by that time but I'm not always, or really ever, church presentable by that time. So I was a little bit grumbly. As I was getting ready, I kept getting this feeling that I should take my cell phone to church. I never take it because I know that I would forget to silence it and Rock Me Amadeus (my ring tone) would entertain those in the chapel. Or, more likely American Woman when I get a text.

And, in my normalness, I didn't take my phone to church. And Brent drove himself. Which also meant that he could get out of there before 12:45 which is when I normally get out of there.

Imagine me, in my car, turning the key, and having the car just sort of chug, then nothing. Crap. So I finally get it started. No worries. And try to back out of the spot and every time I put my foot on the gas, it dies. Sigh. I'm thinking, "Man, I do NOT want to have to ask the nice Elder's Quorum president in his nice suit to help me push my car back in the parking space." So I take a big breath and try again. And it starts moving forward...woho! But then gets all chuggy again so I park it and go in to call Brent. Remember, I don't have my cell phone. Which I always have with me. Except at church.

I try to use the church phone and it doesn't work. Seriously? I mean, I know everyone has cell phones now-a-days but it would be nice to have a land line just in case. Just in case you're stupid like me, and don't listen to the promptings to bring your phone with you. But, luckily I find my friend Paula and she lends me her cell phone and I call home. I just really didn't want to try to drive home, without a phone and end up having to walk because my car died. I mean, I had my cute church shoes on. No my walking home shoes.

I'm sitting in the parking lot trying to figure out what's wrong with my car. (Because, you see, I'm my dad's only son and he did teach me somethings about cars.) It's not the battery. Not the starter motor. (I will FOREVER know what a blown starter motor sounds like because of my camaro.) What could it be? So, as I'm waiting for Brent to show up, I think, "Maybe I'll just start it up and see what it does." I start it, with a little bit of chugging. So by the time Brent gets there, I've had a revelation - the fuel injector. That would make sense, right? He comes to my window and I explain what's been happening and he says,"Maybe the fuel injector is dirty." Hee hee! Told you I know a little about cars.

So he drives it home. Of course, it drives fine but I really think that's because I let it warm up. And this evening will be spent **hopefully** fixing my car.

But, it all comes back to, why oh why do I NEVER listen? I keep saying that I would love revelations. I would love to have a gentle nudge in the right direction every once in a while, but I always ignore it until it is no longer a gentle nudge.

As of today, I'm going to start listening. I'm going to take my phone to church if I feel the prompting to do so. I'm going to pick up the phone and call that person that I've talked myself out of calling. I'm going to do better! I am.

I hope.

3 comments:

Mom said...

That is too bad about your car. Hope Brent was able to fix it and it is running just fine now! Isn't that always the way it goes - you don't listen and sure wish you had!! Hopefully next time...(but we are all that way...hopefully next time!!)

Chelsea said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've multiple experiences like that. I keep hoping I'll learn one day!

Jess said...

ahh, so sorry that happened! I hate when I think "man, why didn't I listen" You are great. Hope your car is working again. I hate car problems. I am impressed at your diagnosis. way to go!