Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Look What I Did

Remember how I said that craftiness was not an option for me? Well, I've been proving that lately. I've been on a kick. Do you want to see what I've done? Of course you do...(And if you don't, I guess you could stop reading now, but really, you're already here and everything. And it will be mostly pictures. So, why not stay!)
As a thank you gift for the people who let us stay in their condo on the beach, I made these coasters out of picture I took while in Westport. I know, ingenious!
I got this idea from a craft blog I read.

Do you realize that you can turn this

Into this?

Yeah, I didn't either. I mean, where did I think they got the pumpkin in a can? I have no idea, but I guess I didn't think it was from actual pumpkins.

It's super easy to cook a pumpkin and make it into pumpkin bread. It just takes time. If you need the recipe, let me know. Oh, you do want it? I'll give it to you.

Cooking Pumpkin
Cut up pumpkin.
Put it in your crock pot.
Put about 3/4 inch of water in your crock pot.
Cook for like 4 hours. Until the pumpkin is soft and you can pull it from the skin easily.
Take all the skin off the pumpkin - if you're like me, you have to have Brent do this because the pumpkin is too hot. I swear, he has asbestos fingers!
Smash up pumpkin with potato masher.
Voila!

I know, hard, huh? I'm making a pumpkin pie this week out of the pumpkin we cooked ourselves. If the bread is any indication, it will be awesome!

Have I mentioned, I love craftiness??

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Can I just say AWESOME!!!! I want to try all of those! I absolutely love the Halloween decorations! So cute! You are so talented.

Courtney said...

I'm glad to finally see the coasters. I just cooked butternut squash in our crockpot this Sunday. It was so easy! I'm definitely going to do it more often!

Jess said...

Nice work Ash! Those coasters are a darling idea.

Jenny Moore said...

You are very crafty!!! :)

Mom said...

Wow...great job on the coasters...what a fantastic "thank you gift!!" As you know I love YOUR halloween things - mine not so much. Hmmmmmmm, I just bought canned pumpkins so you can make pies for Thanksgiving - but I DO still have a pumpkin outside - CLEVER GIRL!!
Love you!

Julie said...

Way to go Mrs. Crafty! I love all your posts and thanks for putting pictures of Reyes and Cami on your blog. Those two grow up way too fast and since Marcela and Ryan don't blog, I do enjoy seeing pictures.

Love ya!

Katie & Jared said...

Ok. I LOVE those coasters! You take the best pictures. The candle holders are cute too. Jared and I did something similar but we made ghosts. As for the pumpkin bread...I'll leave that to you. ;) Way to go Craftwoman!