Thursday, March 29, 2012

Oh We're Going to a Hukilau

So, what did you do last week? Well, we got to watch 5 kids for 5-1/2 days. No one thought we could do it, but we did. And everyone survived, including me!

Court and Brad had the opportunity to go to Hawaii. This has been Court's dream since they first moved here. So, they got their tickets and got Grandma to come watch the kids. Sarah was miffed...she wanted to go to Hawaii. She also wanted to go to Utah to see everyone for Spring Break, but this was also not going to happen. So, we hatched a plan. We would have a luau while Mom and Dad were in Hawaii.

Then, in true shipyard fashion, the Hawaii trip got moved up a week. What to do? It would have been hard for Grandma to get here earlier. That also meant that Court and Brad would be leaving the day after we got back from Portland. That's a turn around I've made many times and do not like it. So, Brent and I talked about it and decided that I would watch the kids. He would come after work, then go home to sleep since we're not used to getting up with a baby.

I just wanted Court to be able to go. I know how much she's wanted to go and I wanted it for her.

But, I'll tell you, when I got there at 6:15 am on Monday morning, I was thinking I might be crazy. How could I go from no kids to 5 kids. And not only 5 kids, but 5 kids THINGS that needed to happen that week. Let me explain:
Sarah - age 12. Tuesday night was New Beginnings. Wednesday afternoon was piano lessons. Thursday night was the orientation at the high school - yeah, she's in 9th grade in the fall. Saturday night was the YW Broadcast. And, in the midst of this, we found out that she had to register for 9th grade before Court and Brad got home. Eek!
Chloe - age 11. Wednesday afternoon was piano lesson as well. Other than that, there was school work and piano practice.
Kyle - age 6. Had a birthday party on Saturday that needed a present. Plus homework.
Aaron - age 4. Also had a birthday party on Saturday that needed a present. Plus, he's home all day.
Emma - age 15 months. By far the youngest baby I've ever watched overnight. And she would be home all day too.
Ashley - age 36. Presidency Meeting on Wednesday night.

Yeah, a full week. Jeez! But, I decided to just take it one day at a time. So, I went grocery shopping with two kids - and found out how long Emma's arms really are. I went to New Beginnings and the YW Broadcast with Sarah and remembered how much I love young women's. (I do get to go to camp this year. I'm helping with the 1st years. Woho!) I took 2 kids to Walmart and we bought some pretty darn fun gifts for the birthday parties. And I even got to my presidency meeting with only minimal craziness.

I could never have done it without Brent though. He is such a calming influence on me. I love him.

Anyway, as I said, everyone survived the week. Saturday, Grandma got here and Brent and I went home. But then we had promised to have a luau. So, Sunday, we went back over and had a luau. Everyone got duded up in their Hawaii things.
Chloe, Aaron, Sarah, Emma, Kyle
Kathy (Court's mom), Kyle, Aaron, Me, Sarah
Brent didn't want his picture taken, but he was in Hawaii gear too.

We had made an Aloha banner that worked for the luau and to welcome Court and Brad home, made Hawaiian Haystacks, which almost everyone liked, and yummy cupcakes...
Yeah, got the idea from Pinterest. I don't think I had the right icing tip though. It looked better on Pinterest. But they tasted good.

It was a fun night and I'm glad that we could do that for them. Court and Brad had a great time in Hawaii and now they owe us big time. Just kidding guys! Glad we could help!

And it's awful quiet around here now...kind of good and bad.

ALOHA!

5 comments:

Mom said...

I am so proud of you...what an undertaking but you did it with flying colors!! You are a true friend!!! (And I guess it helps that Court has great kids!)

Glad you all survived!! (and they even had smiles on their faces! :)

Love you!

Julie said...

Way to go Ashley! I'm sure those kids loved having you and Brent around!

Jess said...

Wow, you do deserve "friend of the year"
I am impressed. I bet you had a wonderful time and I know those kids were probably thrilled to have you 2 there. Love that you even did a luau. You go above and beyond. Well done!!
p.s. cute cupcakes!

Kathy said...

Ashley, you are indeed the best friend a girl can have. Courtney is so lucky to have you as her BFF. You did an amazing job with the kids and the luau. I know Courtney and I couldn't have done it without you.

Kathy said...

Ashley, you win the best friend crown! You did an amazing job with five kids and the busy schedules and two households to manage for all those days. Courtney is so blessed to have you as her BFF.