Saturday, March 18, 2006

Count Your Blessings

I have been on a little bit of a pitty party lately. It has been so hard to go to work with my house in boxes. Then when I'm home, it's such a daunting task to try to unpack everything. Today I decided that I was tired of my attitude, so I'm going to change it by using that old hymn...."Count Your Blessings."

I am so thankful for all this stuff we have been blessed with. We have clothes that are nice and shoes that fit (I might have a couple too many shoes).

I am thankful for my job. I know that Heavenly Father led me to this job. I wasn't even applying for full time jobs. This one was advertised and it didn't say whether it was full time or part time, so I applied. I hadn't heard anything from ANYONE else and I get a call on Monday after Jared and Katie's wedding. They asked me if I would like to come in for an interview on Tuesday at 10:30. I walked back out to my car at 10:38 thinking I bombed that interview. Then on Thursday, Anita calls and offers me a job starting the next Monday. I feel blessed to be able to do some improvements on our new house. I'm also very blessed to be able to save money for the baby. I'm thankful to be able to SAVE money!

I am thankful for Brent and the wonderful relationship we have. I'm thankful for my independence mixed in with my dependence on him. I can handle being here by myself just fine, I just like it better when he's here.

I am thankful for this land we live in. I just finished a book called The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. It is the story of her life. She lived in Holland during WWII when Germany took over. She ran an underground ring that hid Jews throughout the country. The Germans found out and she and her family were arrested. She, her sister and father were taken to a prison where her father died. Then she and her sister were taken to a concentration camp where her sister died. I love to read books about this time in the world. It makes me so thankful for my freedom and being blessed to live in this country.

I am so thankful for Ryan and Marcela and their willingness to open their home to us for 2-1/2 months. Their generosity is greatly appreciated by me and Brent.

I am thankful for my family (this includes the Browns). Each one of them bless me in so many ways. I love you all!

Most of all, I am thankful for the Gospel in my life. I know the Church is true. I know that Joseph Smith actually saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know he restored this Church in the last days. I know that President Gordon B Hinckley is a prophet of God. I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. Sometimes we don't recognize the answers, but He always answers. I know that He knows us by name and wants us to be happy. I know that my life is better because of the gospel and my testimony.

Ok, now I feel so much better. It does really help to "Count Your Blessings".

I know this is a long posting, but I have some pictures of the house. Today I'll start with the outside. I know that you have seen a small picture of it, but these are much better! We love the color of the house, the red door, and the land that it's on. I'm just itching to get the garden going. I don't think that we'll get in summer crops, but we might be able to get some fall carrots and peas. Next year though, watch out!

Oh, by the way, Happy St Patrick's Day yesterday. It is quite the holiday around here. I don't remember it ever being that big of a deal in Utah. Both Brent and I found cute shirts at Old Navy. (Brent is now addicted to Old Navy too. We went a lot in Hawaii.) I didn't know about the red getting a kiss though. Next year, I'm wearing red. :)

Have a great day! We are lamenting the loss of the Aggies and the Solukies! Both my teams are out so early, who will I cheer for now?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, thanks for the post... it is amazing how blessed we really are!

Anonymous said...

Red doors rule!

Anonymous said...

You're great Ashley!
We're thankful for you and all you do

Jess said...

Great post Ash!

You are such a great gal! I am glad that we are related and that you married Brent :) He is a lucky duck! I need to count my blessings a little more often too when things get rough. Thanks for the reminder.

Glad that Brent is home now.

Love ya!