Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Before and After

For the past 2-1/2 years, I have been growing out my mop of hair in order to donate it to Locks of Love. I heard about this girl who just keeps growing out her hair and donating it and growing out her hair and donating it. So, I thought, "If she can do that over and over, I can do it once." That is how my hair brained (hee hee) idea came to be.

The only hitch - I HATE having my hair long. Here are the reasons:

1) It's hot! I am normally feel hotter than anyone else around, but with my long hair, it got WAY worse!

2) Apparently my hair naturally wants to be in dread locks. (Is that how you spell it?) I could brush and brush it and ten minutes later the underneath would be in dread locks again.

3) People tend to touch your hair more when it's long. I'm not a huge touchy-feely person. Hawaii was fun for me - the little old ladies meet you in Relief Society and give you a kiss on the cheek. I try to not be a complete nerd and scream, "Please don't touch me," but I'm pretty sure people can tell I don't like it when I freeze up. I don't know it if it was the length or the curliness, but people were always playing with it. Weird.

4) I don't think I actually have two X chromosomes. I'm not a girlie-girl. I don't wear make-up, I'm not a good cook, I don't often giggle, I'm just not a girl. I also don't have the slightest idea how to do long hair. I had 2 or 3 ways of doing it and that was it. Kind of a waist.

5) I have a confession to make - my hair is white. At least the front of it is. I've been going gray since I was 15, so it hasn't come a huge surprise, but it has been getting whiter and whiter. There's a crazy part of me that just wants to grow it out and see what I look like with white hair, but then the rational part of me takes back over and I don't want white hair. Well, I normally dye my hair myself, but I learned that if you try to dye long hair, there are more drips that get on the carpet so I have to tell Brent that I dyed the carpet. Not fun! (He took it really well, but it still sucked.) So, I stopped dying it towards the end of my hair growing experience. I love that it's now gone again.


6) I just love my short hair. It looks so cute and curly short and I just love looking cute, but not having to spend a long time on it. It's just me.

So, drum roll please, are you ready for the before?



Wowie! That's some long hair. And look how curly it is! Amazing! (I'm seriously surprised. When I was little, it wasn't anywhere close to this long when it got too heavy and pulled the curl out.


And after...

Look, I have a neck. Ahh...so much more "me"!
That's eleven inches of curly hair. So cool! I sent it off to Locks of Love yesterday. I'm proud of myself for doing it, but I AM NEVER DOING IT AGAIN! This is me! What do you think?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash, totally awesome that you did this! I'm proud of you. Angel did this a few years ago, and she's somewhat opposite of you and generally loves having long hair -- it was SOOO hard for her to cut it short to donate it, and she cried the first day. After a while, she had fun with the short hair, and it looked pretty good on her, too. Even so, I think we both prefer her hair longer.

Angel said...

Yay for you! I did that a few years ago when I was pregnant with Tyler. I realized that my hair was growing like a weed, and that it had totally thickened up. I figured there was no better time. However, I had a hard time with the chopping part. I have always had medium to long hair. Chopping it past my shoulders was devastating for me. I sucked it up and did it anyway -- and loved it short. . .until I grew it out again. Good for you for doing it!!!

John and Laura said...

I love your hair cut! So cute. I have considered doing the same thing, but for most of the reasons you named, haven't and probably won't. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I think it was so great that you did that. I know it was a lot of work and not very much fun...especially towards the end! But what a special idea!! I think your hair looks great and you look so happy! Just the right hairstyle for summer!
Good job...for doing it and for the cute new hair style!

Love ya!
Mom

CB said...

It looks great - What a neat thing to do. I don't think I have the patience.

It was very nice to meet you this past Sunday:)

Katrina, Kyle and Family said...

I love your new haircut it is so cute! I can't wait to see it in person. I hope you had a great trip!!

Katie & Jared said...

I love your short hair and I think Cayden seems to like it too. He didn't cry when you held him this time. ;)

It was fun to see you guys. We miss you already!
Loves to you both!!!

Jenny Moore said...

What a great thing to do Ashley but cutting it looked very liberating!
Congrats for a good deed!

Jess said...

I thought you looked so dang cute with your short hair!

Way to go Ash. Someone will be very lucky to have your curly locks given with love.

You are amazing!

Draper Family said...

Ashley,
That is really cool that you were willing to grow your hair out. I don't think that I have every seen your hair that long before. Congrats on seeing it to the end. You are looking great!