Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chugga Chugga...Woo Woo!

On Friday night, Ryan and Marcela asked if we wanted to go with them to take a ride on a train. Since it's right up the road from us, we gladly accepted. (Even though Ryan had to practically drag Brent out of the house. Brent was being a tortuga for once.)

There's a park by our house where you can take a free train ride on miniature trains. It runs twice a month all summer. And it's actually quite fun.
We're all ready to go...and....you're not allowed to take pictures on the train, so you'll just have to imagine what it looks like. Picture tall trees and green.

After we got off, Brent struck up a conversation with one of the volunteers there and he invited us all "behind the scenes".

I think Reyes' face is just hilarious in this one. She just looks scared. It was making a lot of steam, so I guess I understand.
There was this 10 year old boy back there who just took a liking to Reyes. He got her to sit on this little train that you move with the crank. At first it looked like she could do it, then we realized she was just going downhill, so it was just an illusion.
Our "guide" says it takes about an hour for these steam engines to warm up. There was someone getting theirs going so Brent started asking what all the levers and switches did. The owner of the train was more than happy to tell him.

I can hear the conversation now:

Brent: "You know what would be a cool hobby?"
Ashley: "No, what?"
Brent: "Building miniature trains!"

Great. I love being married to an engineer!

Like he needs another hobby. This is one of his hobbies:
It is a Piper Cub Airplane. It's suppose to look like this,
only smaller.

Brent began building this airplane when he was in college. Yeah, like he had time. We have moved it three times now. And it still looks like a fossil.

Here is another one of his hobbies:
Notice how they are all in a box and on a shelf. Yeah, I did too.
I'm just teasing you Brent after all...
Me: "Hi, my name is Ashley."
Everyone Else: "Hi Ashley."
Me: "And I'm a plant-a-holic. It's been 1 week since I bought my last plant."
So, if you're ever in our neck of the woods on the 2nd or 4th Saturday in the summer, give us a call. We'll ride the train with you. And Brent would even tell you how it works for free!

3 comments:

Tina said...

We haven't been all summer and I live your neck of the woods. Such a bad mom. I'm going next time for sure....if I remember. :) My boys love it!

Jenny Moore said...

Ashley I love your conversations with Brent!! He cracks me up...I'm sure you had to keep swatting at his hand to keep him from touching all the levers on the train!!!
Brent...you dillweed...get that plane finished. We have kids and we've finished projects!!! :) (hope that helped Ashley!!)

Julie said...

Oh, how I love my brothers who are engineers! I'm sure they were in heaven at the train place. Good times!