Friday, August 31, 2012

What Can I Say?

What can I say, I love to craft. And I've been told that I am pretty good at it. I just see the ones that I messed up on, but I show everyone else the good ones. Haha, have them fooled.

Anyway, we needed to make new t-shirts for the YW sports. Well, I don't know if needed to is the right word, but we decided to. And the YW wanted to bleach them. I hadn't ever done this so I read up on it on the internet and Sarah and Chloe consented to be the guinea pigs.

They picked out some super cute designs:
I cut them using my favorite machine out of freezer paper so we just ironed them on.

We made sure our outfits were ones that we didn't mind getting a little bleach on and we went outside to bleach the tees!

It had said online that some colors need about 20 minutes to start showing the bleaching affect. So, I wasn't worried when they just looked wet at first.

Then we went and made some headbands with old t-shirts...
Then we checked again and they still just looked wet.

Then Chloe made a bag out of an old t-shirt...
(Can you tell that we had just gone through Brent's t-shirt drawer and pulled out all the holey ones?)

And they still were quite yellow shirts, just wet. Sadly, the bleached tees didn't work AT ALL. Why is this? I don't really know. The t-shirts are a little bit lighter on the front than the back, but not even that noticeably.

I was so glad I tried this BEFORE wasting 15 t-shirts for the YW.

It was a sad fail, but the YW t-shirts did turn out quite nice. We just painted them. I found this great soft fabric paint.

But the bleaching would have been so cool. Oh well. Maybe next time.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh well! The girls had fun anyway!

btw, are you blogging while on vacation???!

Jess said...

Kuddos for all the fun things you try! Thanks for letting us know so we don't waster our time :)
Love the headbands.

Jess said...

Kuddos for all the fun things you try! Thanks for letting us know so we don't waster our time :)
Love the headbands.

Mom said...

Didn't even know you were blogging when here...I didn't look until today :) - good try!!! (was it supposed to bleach the fabric so that the dino showed through?