Friday, October 12, 2012

Myrtle Falls

With Brent going backpacking last week (I think he is going to blog about it), I got this wild hair to do a little hiking while we were in Mt Rainier National Park. So I did some research and chose the easiest hikes available. I'm not crazy.


The first one was to Myrtle Falls. Let's enjoy the journey in pictures...

 The hike was about a mile round trip, not too bad.







I just love all the dots of fall color among the evergreens.



And then we got to Myrtle Falls...



We heard from other hikers that there were a couple of bears way up on the hill. We looked and looked and thought we finally found them. But we didn't have our binoculars so we just had to guess.

See that black dot way up there? Do you think it's a bear? Well, on further inspection, it's just a shadow made by a tree that we couldn't see. Sigh...

And now for more pictures!








When we got to Myrtle Falls, we decided to keep going to another falls, called Sluiskin Falls. Those pictures come tomorrow. Just a teaser...we did not make it Sluiskin Falls.

On the way back down, we stopped to take a drink and noticed movement in the bushes. Can you see the deer?
You're right, it is well hidden. I only noticed it because it's ear flopped. So, I circled it in the next picture for you...

I know, it's still hard to see, but it's there!

And now to finish with, what, some more pictures!

We are a Keen loving family!

So, tomorrow, or maybe the next day, we'll see some pictures from the long hike, that was not super easy, but was SUPER pretty!

4 comments:

Mom said...

It looks GORGIOUS...well, I am proud of you for trying! A mile hike even sounds a little daunting! Glad you got to you and document in pretty pictures :)

Courtney said...

Beautiful!

Jenny Moore said...

Those are stunning photos Ash!

steve said...

Back in the day when I went hiking around on Mount Rainer on our P-day, I got to see a lot of the things you pictured. Brings back good memories.

I was especially fond of the deer that have bright red circles around them. I have never seen deer like that since living in WA.

Good times.